Friday, July 27, 2012

About Freakin' Time

Well, this is it folks! After 6 years (6? Hmm... Might be more like 7...) of working on (the main character of Burnt and the upcoming Forgotten) Kaie, he FINALLY settled on a theme song!!

What, you ask, am I going on about? And why should you care?

Well I really don't think you should. Caring about this might actually be something along the lines of unhealthy. Not sure about that. Except that I'm talking about it! So it must be interesting!

Anyway, as to your first question, here's the deal: Whenever I write a character, I always take a little bit of time to find one song that really reminds me of them. This song almost always makes it into the soundtrack I assemble for each book I'm writing (assuming their in it), and can even change as the character grows and evolves and as I find new and more appropriate songs. Now, it's this last part that has caused me no end of grief from Kaie.

You see, no matter how long or hard I searched, he never really connected with one song. There were several that hit on one element of his personality, or how he is feeling in one particular scene. But nothing that could be considered his theme song for more than a handful of chapters. I'm not sure if this is because he's especially complex (I happen to think he is) or if it's because he's a stubborn prick (by far the more likely answer) and that is manifesting in song selection. Regardless, it's been like a scab that I can't help but to pick at for the better part of those 6/7 years.

But! All of that is over now! Because he has a theme song! Now, of course, I have to go back and retool the whole soundtrack to fit it in. Which will be an hour or more that I should probably be spending actually writing it. (This goes along with that whole stubborn prick theory). Oh well. Procrastination is an old frienemy.

Wait, you ask, what is this mythical song that so aptly captures that obnoxious character of yours?

Well, I say, quit with the interrogation! I was getting to it!




P.S. I'm considering posting my Forgotten soundtrack... Oh ye 30-some followers, any thoughts? I'm new to this whole "having people read my blog" business, and clearly need a hand in establishing what is remotely interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment